Are you a parent?
Do you love to write or take photos?
Maybe you don’t have kids, but you grew up here and loved every second!
Maybe you’re from out of town but visit regularly!
We’re looking for perspectives from writers and photographers like you.
Boston Kid Friendly offers local and visiting families opportunities to make memories and invest in this beautiful city. And we want to highlight more than what we can do as just one family.
Our compensation structure
Currently, we offer $10 per post ($15 with photos) with the opportunity to earn social share bonuses. If you are interested in becoming a regular contributor, we offer $15 per post ($20 with photos). Social share bonuses also apply to contributors!
$10 bonus : Articles with 300 combined likes and shares
$30 bonus : Articles with 500 combined likes and shares
$60 bonus : Articles with 1,000 combined likes and shares
Our bonus is based on the total number of social media interactions within 30 days of a post’s original publication date. The author is responsible for tracking interactions with Muckrack or BuzzSumo Shares and will invoice their bonus.
Send submissions to email@example.com
We also pay for photography!
If you are interested in submitting your photography for exclusive use on Boston Kid Friendly and its posts, we offer $5 per photo of the Boston area, kids enjoying a Boston landmark, or even photos of a day trip within 3 hours of Boston.
*All photographs must be a large enough file size to edit as needed and any faces, regardless of age, that are a dominant part of the photo must have waivers on file to be published. We understand that taking photos in public means people will be included. We’re mainly concerned about what the focus of the picture is!
What BKF families are interested in reading
Most of our readership is looking for free, inexpensive, or “worth it” opportunities. We want to focus on providing positive and informed perspectives and opportunities while allowing our readers to actually be able to go out and participate regularly without breaking the bank.
So before you sit down to write, ask yourself these questions to make sure you’re on the right track or to guide you…
- “Is this something that would be useful or interesting to a large portion of our readership?”
- “Would someone else (whom I’m not related to) want to share this with their family and friends?”
- “Is this an interesting and fresh perspective?”
- “Can this positively impact children in Boston?”
- “Have I reviewed my writing for spelling, syntax, and grammar?”
- “Have I linked to referenced research and/or statements that need to be validated?” Even if your piece is not scientific in nature, we require sources for any data, findings, or claims that you include.
- “Is this an “evergreen” piece that can be shared any time throughout the year?”
- “Does this harass, purposefully exclude, or belittle anyone?” If yes, it’s probably not appropriate for our platform.
- “Am I promoting local tourism, local consumption, or otherwise encouraging people to invest in the city and what it has to offer?”
- “Could my post be helpful for schools in the area?”
- “Am I proud of my work to the point I am thankful my name is on it?”
- We prefer submissions in the AP writing style
- Make sure all links open in a new window.
- Avoid excessively formatting your document with things like indents, multiple type styles, all caps, etc.
- Make sure you’re adding subheadings as they’re appropriate.
- Proofread! Free tools like Grammarly are really great! Please, check it out. We want to publish your work, but if we have to spend too much time editing, it might not happen.
What to expect in the submission process
If you’re a NON-contributor, you can expect to hear back from us within 21 days to know if your work will appear on the site. Our flat rate is $10 per post or $15 with photo if you do not have a writing contract with us. But if you would prefer a higher rate and more regular work, we’re down with that too! Check out our contributor application here. Contributors also get brought into our publishing timeline and get to work on writing pieces we have planned if they’re interested!
If your work is chosen to be published, you will receive an email and your post will go live within 30 days of your acceptance date. Once your post goes live, you will get an email with both a link to the article and social shares. Your 30 day bonus period starts from the date of the email with these links.
Share, share, share. Remember that not only does your writing help others, but it could earn you extra $$$. Boston Kid Friendly retains all rights to the post and photograhy unless otherwise agreed upon before publication.
Send a detailed invoice to firstname.lastname@example.org once your piece has been accepted. Please include title, your name, email, address, Paypal information, and publication date.
You are responsible for tracking how well your post does to invoice if you apply for our bonuses. If you have reached a social benchmark 30 days after your publication email, send a secondary invoice to email@example.com with your social share stats and detailed information about your article (title, your name, publish date). This will help verify in a more timely manner.
It is the sole responsibility of the writer to calculate social shares and invoice at the 30 day mark. Invoices received more than five business days after the 30 day post publication date will not qualify for social bonus payouts.
Our terms for submitting written and photography content
By submitting your piece to BKF you understand and agree to the following:
- The content is original work and by allowing us to publish it, it does not infringe on the intellectual property of any other party.
- Photos with kids’ faces must have written consent to be shown.
- We pay for original pieces only. And we check for plagiarism. Your work must pass copyscape to be accepted.
- Payments are based on a flat fee, with the possibility of an additional bonus 30 days after publication based on total likes, shares, and comments. While we promote your work on our social channels, it’s also helpful for you to promote your work to drive social shares.
- Unless arrangements are made in advance, BostonKidFriendly.com has the perpetual right to publish and use the content in any way on any of our current or future media platforms.
- Unless arrangements are made in advance, when BostonKidFriendly.com publishes your original content, we reserve the exclusive rights to that content.
- BostonKidFriendly.com owns the rights to all artwork and imagery associated with an article. No photos, drawings, icons, or visual aids can be used elsewhere without our direct consent.